From: Beth Walsh <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] West Madison Street
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 13:45:21 -0700 (PDT)

You're right Bonnie. That area has undergone a massive reversal in the last few years. Much of that area was burned out during the riots in 1967 and pretty much left to deterioate. I remember going to the Chicago Stadium for the ice shows or a hockey game or concerts and the idea was to find the most direct route to a police-secured parking lot and as soon as the event was over - high tail it out of the area as quickly as possible.
Then when they tore down the Stadium and built the United Center (across the street) the area changed. But most of the rehab happened just prior to the Democratic Convention that was held there.
Now, when we go to the UC we park at a sports bar about 2 or 3 blocks away and walk - and I have done it all alone too - and am not afraid at all. In fact, I was just there a few weeks ago for a concert, parked at the bar and walked to and from the UC, on my own, no problem. And it's not really a bad drive to and from either .I usually take Western to Ogden and then over to the UC area.

Beth

Bonnie Brown <> wrote:
I don't know how many of you have visited West Madison Street
or the United Center lately, but there's $500K and up condos
and townhouses being built in the neighborhood. Two years
ago we even walked from the parking lot at the UC to a
restaurant about 3 blocks away---and we weren't afraid (or crazy)!
The neighborhood is really gentrifying. Some public housing projects
are still in the neighborhood, and a few SRO's. Very few
original buildings left, but a few old stately houses are
being rehabbed. Many restaurants and upscale sports bars
opening to service United Center customers.

The United Center is roughly 1800 W. Madison. The blocks
between the loop and UC are quickly changing. If you drive
farther west on Madison, the neighborhood gets rough quickly.