From: "Bonnie Brown" <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] West Madison Street
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 15:27:12 -0500

I don't know how many of you have visited West Madison Street
or the United Center lately, but there's $500K and up condos
and townhouses being built in the neighborhood. Two years
ago we even walked from the parking lot at the UC to a
restaurant about 3 blocks away---and we weren't afraid (or crazy)!
The neighborhood is really gentrifying. Some public housing projects
are still in the neighborhood, and a few SRO's. Very few
original buildings left, but a few old stately houses are
being rehabbed. Many restaurants and upscale sports bars
opening to service United Center customers.

The United Center is roughly 1800 W. Madison. The blocks
between the loop and UC are quickly changing. If you drive
farther west on Madison, the neighborhood gets rough quickly.

This thread: