From: Bill King <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Chicago Flophouse
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:46:22 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

By the turn of the century Madison Street just west of the loop had turned into "block upon block of buildings conerted into "hotels" rows of secondhand stores and a generous sprinkling of cheap saloons." Railroad workers wre often working far from home as they went where they were sent to work. These types of skid rows in America drew they because of the low cost of housing. The area was mostly torn down in the 1950s. Bill King