Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Chicago Flophouse
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 12:07:28 EDT

My Chicago flophouse connection: I have a 1910 federal census record listing
one of my grandfather's brothers (Martin Fitzgibbon) as a "lodger" at 523 West
Madison Street in Chicago. At the top of the page where it has "Name of
Institution", the census taker filled in "Springfield House". I've not found any
specific references for it, but assume it was a transient hotel (aka
flophouse). Martin is age 32 and a laborer for the railroad. Everyone listed on the
page is a single white male; most are laborers for the railroad. If my
research is correct, I found Martin listed as Fitz FitzGibbons in 1900 at the
Illinois State Reformatory in Pontiac. Not sure what old records there are for the
reformatory inmates.

Kathleen Richmond
Oak Forest IL

See what's free at