IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2007-04 > 1175913567

From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Margaret BRADY
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 21:39:27 -0500
References: <d36.5d494f1.334179f6@aol.com><f675d4a420bc6.460fde35@insightbb.com><687C6331-0AAA-4B7A-B181-2861C99AEEF9@mindspring.com><f5e7c39125c20.46101698@insightbb.com><3A9E4C1F-FAA3-40C6-A0DB-30C6F967DFB8@mindspring.com><f639adb126121.4616bace@insightbb.com>
In-Reply-To: <f639adb126121.4616bace@insightbb.com>

Hi Bill,

I think Nellie is usually a nickname for Ellen or Helen, could be
Eleanor, too, or something with a "nel" in the middle.
For example, Cornelia can have the nickname Nell of Nellie.

I don't think that Bridget Meehan is yours. I could be wrong of course.
I still think a good clue to Maggie's father is the second born son,
Thomas Brady.

Could I have the date on Maggie's obit again?

Happy Easter!

Nan

On Apr 6, 2007, at 9:25 PM, wrote:

> Nan,
> In looking at Maggie's obit again, I'm not sure it is any one of
> those. Here is the obit:
> Margaret Brady Walsh, late of 8633 Vernon avenue, beloved wife of
> the late William, loving mother of Catherine O'Connor, the late
> William, Margaret O'Toole and Thomas Walsh, fond sister of Mrs.
> John Burns of Kenosha, Wis., the late Mary Hackett, Catherine Hunt
>> Bill,
>> Which Bridget Meehan in the 1910 census was she:
>> I found three (only checked correct spelling of Meehan):
>> **Bridget, age 49, b@1861 Canada, emigrated 1885, parents born
>> Ireland
>> husband John born Kentucky, daughter Sadie age 21 born Canada
>> living in the 4th ward 3139 Halsted St. (So Halsted St)
>> Bridget A. Meehan, widow, age 53 b@1857 Ireland, emigrated 1870
>> 28th Ward 2427 N Fairfield
>> children: Jessie, Paul, Elizabeth, John C.
>> Delia Meehan, age 25, b@1885 Ireland, emigrated 1905 (couldn't
>> be
>> witness to 1895 marriage)
>> 10th ward 1109 15th St- married 1 year.
>> husband Patrick, age 26, b@1884, emigrated 1904
>> **I am assuming this is the one you refer to? But she was
>> dead by
>> 1920, not 1930.
>> I came up empty on obits for all three John, Bridget (Delia)
>> and
>> Sadie/Sarah/Sara.
>> But if this first one was the correct one, there is
>> inconsistency
>> (surprise!) in the census records.
>> Some have her born Ireland, some have her born Canada.
>> "Sadie" was
>> born in Canada.
>> Also, Bridget was born in 1861, that's older than I though
>> Margaret's
>> sister would be.
>> You don't think this record is too early? Sadie was born
>> in 1888 in
>> Canada and John and Bridget married in 1886-possibly in Canada.
>> There was a notice in the Tribune for a memorial mass for a Sara
>> A.
>> Meehan on Oct 27, 1948 at St Mark's church.
>> notice was in the Trib the day before on the 26th. There
>> is no
>> corresponding death in the Illinois death index, however
>> there was a death of a Sarah A. Meehan, one year earlier on
>>> (wife - 46), Patrick Brady (farmer - 26), Kate Brady (22),
>> Maggie
>>> Brady (16), Bridget Brady (13), Thomas Brady (10), and Annie
>> Brady
>>> (8).
>>>
>>> The church record of my great grandparents wedding shows -
>> William
>>> Walsh and Maggie Brady - 14 April 1895. The witnesses are John
>> J.
>>> Meehan and Delia Brady. Another lister provided me with John
>> and
>>> Bridget Meehan census data for 1900, 1910, and 1930. The
>> 1900,
>>> 1910, and 1930 census in Chicago shows John Meehan and
>> daughter in
>>> all the census. Bridget is in the 1900 and 1910 census only.
>> She
>>> obviously died between the 1910 and 1930 census. Can you
>> locate an
>>> obit for Bridget (Delia) Meehan with a husband, John, and
>> a
>>> daughter, Sadie?
>>>
>>> I have the obit for Margaret. William (Walsh) Welch's obit I
>> have
>>> searched high and low for before I got kicked out of the
>> Trib
>>> archives to no avail. William died 22 May 1902. He was a
>> Chicago cop.
>>>
>>> You are right there has been a lot of activity on the
>> list
>>> responding to my request. This list is GREAT!
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>> From: Nan Brennan <>
>>> Date: Sunday, April 1, 2007 18:06
>>> Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Margaret BRADY
>>> To:
>>>
>>>> Bill,
>>>>
>>>> Give me the particulars and the siblings and I'll look for a
>>>> Tribune
>>>> obit.
>>>>
>>>> A lot of great responses from the list!.
>>>>
>>>> Nan
>>>>
>>>> On Apr 1, 2007, at 4:30 PM, wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> Patti,
>>>>>
>>>>> I have Maggie's obit, but no one else's. I don't have
>>>> access
>>>>> anymore to the Trib archives.
>>>>>
>>>>> Bill
>>>>>
>>>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>>>> From:
>>>>> Date: Sunday, April 1, 2007 16:11
>>>>> Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Margaret BRADY
>>>>> To:
>>>>>
>>>>>> Bill,
>>>>>> Have you looked up all obits for siblings? Sometimes there
>>>>>> is a reference
>>>>>> to where they came from. If Mary Brady is the Brady family
>>>>>> of your Maggie, it
>>>>>> would seem the whole family emigrated and left no one
>> behind.>>>>
>>>>>> Patti
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> ************************************** See what's free at
>>>>>> http://www.aol.com.
>>>>>> -------------------------------
>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-
>>>> IN-
>>>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>>>>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> -------------------------------
>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-
>> IN-
>>>>
>>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
>>>> without
>>>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -------------------------------
>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-
>> IN-
>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>>
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
>>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
>> without
>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message