Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Bochar's Catholic Church Directory
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:13:40 EDT

In a message dated 4/1/2007 4:58:34 P.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:

I found this entry in the FHL catalogue:

> Locations of Chicago Roman Catholic Churches, 1850-1990, Jack Bochar,
> FHL US/CAN Fiche 611100 2 microfiches
>
> Has anyone on the list ever looked at these?

Yes, they are great and if the FHC facility you frequent has a scanner,
printer, you can position the microfiche so that you can scan and print or save
to thumb drive some of the images, being mindful of copyright laws, that is.
Bochar lists the churches alphabetically and in the order they were
established with details as to ethnicity and whether the parish is still open and
where the records are. From there you can search familysearch.org to find the
film numbers by searching for Chicago, IL, then Chicago, Cook, then Church
Records -- they are not listed alphabetically and are on multiple pages.

Naperville's FHC has most of the Catholic parish films on extended loan and
has a great scanner/printer. They are located at 1320 Ridgeland Ave.,
Naperville. Exit I-88 at Naperville Road/Naper Blvd., south on Naper about .3
miles to Ridgeland, east and the facility is right there. Hours: T-Thur 9-9, F
9-4, Sat 9-1. Phone 630/505-0233.

Margaret

Margaret McCarthy