Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Margaret BRADY
Date: Sun, 01 Apr 2007 22:09:27 +0000

Bill,

By all means DO NOT give up on the General Record Office. Many Irish immigrants did not in fact, know their own year of birth! My experiences suggest that her day of birth of May 31 is more apt to be correct than the year of birth as given in the records in this country.

To answer your direct question: Yes, the GRO civil registration of births' indices have been microfilmed by LDS and the numbers are available online at familysearch.org. The indices if I remember correctly are divided for each year into quarters as follows,

1st qrtr. Jan.1-March31st
2nd qrtr. April 1-Jun. 30
3rd qrtr. July 1-Sept. 30
4th qrtr. Oct. 1-Dec. 31

and within each quarter are listed all the recorded births from the various registration districts around Ireland including their volume and page numbers. These civil registration district boundaries are the same as the boundaries for the probate districts or poor law unions. [See: A Genealogical Atlas of Ireland, by Brian Mitchell, Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., Baltimore, 1986]

For County Mayo there are nine different registration districts in which Margaret Brady's record could appear, each encompassing a number of parishes: Belmullet, Killala, Ballina, Newport, Westport, Castlebar, Swineford, Claremorris, and Ballinrobe.

You stated that you have her marriage certificate from the Catholic parish in Chicago. Is this an actual photocopy of the marriage entry? If not, it's possible that the priest sending you the certificate left out the information about her date and place of baptism in Ireland that was required by the diocese for marriages after 1908. Some parish priests were better than others at recording this information.

If you're still unable to narrow down the place in Mayo where she was born, then I would write to the GRO again and ask them to send you copies of all Margaret Brady's born in any of the Mayo districts listed above during a period of five years around the date you have. Be aware that there may be many.

Also some of the Catholic parish records from Diocese of Achonry, have been filmed by LDS and last I checked were open to the public for loan and viewing:

Parish Attymas, years inclusive 1874-1881, film #926002
parish Bohola, inc. 1857-1881, film 926003
parish Kilbeagh, inc. 1845-1881, film 926009
parish Kilgarvin, inc. 1844-1881, film 926013
parish Killasser, inc. 1847-1880, film 926011
parish Killedan, inc. 1834-1880, film 926012
parish Kilmovee, inc. 1824-1881, film 926017
parish Meelick & Kilconduff, inc. 1808-1915, film 926020
parish Oughaval, inc. 1823-1880, film 979697
parish Templemore, inc. 1872-1880, film 926021

Good luck!

Tom Cook