IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2007-03 > 1173193260

From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] McDermott.Ghicago and Sligo Ireland
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 09:01:00 -0600
References: <8C12308D-B0D4-4E2F-9A8B-14A3CF7C6735@mindspring.com><BAY18-F19A6CDDFE20F73E9A50F86DD810@phx.gbl><f74b8f9714ebb.45e5e9dd@insightbb.com><060346ED-0277-4A55-AC21-455405E9088E@mindspring.com><f60fcfb012bfa.45eb08c6@insightbb.com>
In-Reply-To: <f60fcfb012bfa.45eb08c6@insightbb.com>

Sorry, Bill, I came up empty on the obits

You might be able to get these via ProQuest from you home computer if
you have a local library card.
Have you tried that?

Nan

On Mar 4, 2007, at 5:58 PM, wrote:

> Nan,
> I'm not sure if we are related. My aunt Ag remarried. I am not sure
> what happened to her Scanlon husband. He could have died. His name
> was Joseph Scanlon. To my knowledge, they did not have any children.
> She married William Anthony Ames in 1915. He died in 1942. Ag died
> in 1971. Joe was gone before they remarried, obviously. Do you have
> anything in the Trib archives? I tried before they caught on to us
> to no avail.
> Bill
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Nan Brennan <>
> Date: Thursday, March 1, 2007 2:23
> Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] McDermott.Ghicago and Sligo Ireland
>> Bill,
>> Do you think you are connected to Rosaleen's McDermott/Scanlons?
>> Nan
>> On Feb 28, 2007, at 8:45 PM, wrote:
>>> Nan,
>>>
>>> That Agnes Scanlon was my grandaunt, sister of my grandmother
>> Rose
>>> Veronica McDermott Karr.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message -----
>>> From: Rosaleen Scanlon <>
>>> Date: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:15
>>> Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] McDermott.Ghicago and Sligo Ireland
>>> To:
>>>
>>>> Thank you for the info.
>>>> I was born and I live in Sligo Ireland.The Descendents I am
>>>> trying to locate
>>>> would have been my grans siblings who emigrated to the USA from
>>>> Sligo in or
>>>> around 1900.My research on the internet has produced mixed
>>>> results..My grans
>>>> sister Bridget Mc Dermott was definately in the US. When
>>>> my Aunt Nellie
>>>> Scanlon emigrated in 1926 ,she gave the name of her
>>>> aunt Bridget Mc
>>>> Dermott . The address was Miss B McDermott 33,Vandervader Pl St
>>>> Louis.I also
>>>> have some old photographs of unidentified people taken by a
>>>> photographer in
>>>> St Louis.There may also be a connection to Boston.My aunt Nell
>>>> Scanlon
>>>> married Otto Wennrich in Westport,and her sister Bridget Scanlon
>>>> married
>>>> James Kilgannon in Stemford. The Chicago link came recently when
>>>> a cousin
>>>> from the UK told me that when he was a teenager his
>>>> mother took him to
>> Ireland>>> Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 00:17:10 -0600
>>>>>
>>>>> Rosaleen,
>>>>>
>>>>> I don't know if this is yours, but I found this Agnes
>> Scanlon, nee
>>>>> McDermott obit in the Chicago Tribune.
>>>>> date: October 21, 1971
>>>>>
>>>>> SCANLON
>>>>> Agnes Scanlon, nee McDermott, beloved wife of the late Patrick;
>>>>> fond mother of Monica Kreien; grandmother of three; great-
>>>>> grandmother
>>>>> of 12
>>>>> sister of Sister Monica, O.P. and Lawrence McDermott.
>>>>> Funeral Friday 930am, from the Hickey and Vandenburg Chapel,
>>>> 6730 W
>>>>> 174th Tinley Park
>>>>> to St Chrisopher Church. Mass 10am. Interment St. Mary.
>>>>>
>>>>> Here's a 1916 obit on a Scanlon from Sligo:
>>>>> Chicago Tribune May 8, 1916
>>>>>
>>>>> SCANLON-
>>>>> THERESA SCANLON, nee BANKS, at her residence 2744
>>>> Lexington Street.
>>>>> born in County Sligo, age 40 years, beloved wife of Bartholomew
>>>> Scanlon,>mother of Thomas, Mary and John Scanlon. Funeral Monday
>>>> May 8, 10am to
>>>>> Precious Blood; burial at Mount Carmel by autos.
>>>>>
>> and went
>>>>>> to her
>>>>>> aunt Bridget Mc Dermott in 33 Vandarvanter Place St Louis.I
>>>> have also
>>>>>> discovered that there were McDermotts in Chicago . A cousin
>>>>>> remembers being
>>>>>> brought to visit them when he was a teenager round
>>>> (1970's)..Of course
>>>>>> teenage boys have no interest in their mother's relatives
>>>> and he
>>>>>> can give me
>>>>>> no information.
>>>>>> Rosaleen Scanlon
>>>>>>
>>>>>> _________________________________________________________________
>>>>>> Customise your home page with RSS feeds at MSN Ireland! http://
>>>>>> ie.msn.com/
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> -------------------------------
>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-
>>>> IN-
>>>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>>>>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> -------------------------------
>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
>>>>> with the word
>>>> 'unsubscribe' without
>>>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>>
>>>> _________________________________________________________________
>>>> Discover the magic of RSS feeds at MSN Ireland! http://ie.msn.com/
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> -------------------------------
>>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-
>> IN-
>>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>>>>
>>>
>>> -------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
>>> with the word 'unsubscribe'
>> without
>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>> -------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message