IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2007-03 > 1173052710

From:
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] McDermott.Ghicago and Sligo Ireland
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2007 17:58:30 -0600
References: <8C12308D-B0D4-4E2F-9A8B-14A3CF7C6735@mindspring.com><BAY18-F19A6CDDFE20F73E9A50F86DD810@phx.gbl><f74b8f9714ebb.45e5e9dd@insightbb.com><060346ED-0277-4A55-AC21-455405E9088E@mindspring.com>
In-Reply-To: <060346ED-0277-4A55-AC21-455405E9088E@mindspring.com>

Nan,

I'm not sure if we are related. My aunt Ag remarried. I am not sure what happened to her Scanlon husband. He could have died. His name was Joseph Scanlon. To my knowledge, they did not have any children.

She married William Anthony Ames in 1915. He died in 1942. Ag died in 1971. Joe was gone before they remarried, obviously. Do you have anything in the Trib archives? I tried before they caught on to us to no avail.

Bill

From: Nan Brennan <>
Date: Thursday, March 1, 2007 2:23
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] McDermott.Ghicago and Sligo Ireland

> Bill,
> Do you think you are connected to Rosaleen's McDermott/Scanlons?
> Nan
> On Feb 28, 2007, at 8:45 PM, wrote:
> > Nan,
> > That Agnes Scanlon was my grandaunt, sister of my grandmother
> Rose
> > Veronica McDermott Karr.
> > Bill
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: Rosaleen Scanlon <>
> > Date: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 4:15
> > Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] McDermott.Ghicago and Sligo Ireland
> > To:
> >> Thank you for the info.
> >> I was born and I live in Sligo Ireland.The Descendents I am
> >> trying to locate
> >> would have been my grans siblings who emigrated to the USA from
> >> Sligo in or
> >> around 1900.My research on the internet has produced mixed
> >> results..My grans
> >> sister Bridget Mc Dermott was definately in the US. When
> >> my Aunt Nellie
> >> Scanlon emigrated in 1926 ,she gave the name of her
> >> aunt Bridget Mc
> >> Dermott . The address was Miss B McDermott 33,Vandervader Pl St
> >> Louis.I also
> >> have some old photographs of unidentified people taken by a
> >> photographer in
> >> St Louis.There may also be a connection to Boston.My aunt Nell
> >> Scanlon
> >> married Otto Wennrich in Westport,and her sister Bridget Scanlon
> >> married
> >> James Kilgannon in Stemford. The Chicago link came recently when
> >> a cousin
> >> from the UK told me that when he was a teenager his
> >> mother took him to
> Ireland>>> Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 00:17:10 -0600
> >>>
> >>> Rosaleen,
> >>>
> >>> I don't know if this is yours, but I found this Agnes
> Scanlon, nee
> >>> McDermott obit in the Chicago Tribune.
> >>> date: October 21, 1971
> >>>
> >>> SCANLON
> >>> Agnes Scanlon, nee McDermott, beloved wife of the late Patrick;
> >>> fond mother of Monica Kreien; grandmother of three; great-
> >>> grandmother
> >>> of 12
> >>> sister of Sister Monica, O.P. and Lawrence McDermott.
> >>> Funeral Friday 930am, from the Hickey and Vandenburg Chapel,
> >> 6730 W
> >>> 174th Tinley Park
> >>> to St Chrisopher Church. Mass 10am. Interment St. Mary.
> >>>
> >>> Here's a 1916 obit on a Scanlon from Sligo:
> >>> Chicago Tribune May 8, 1916
> >>>
> >>> SCANLON-
> >>> THERESA SCANLON, nee BANKS, at her residence 2744
> >> Lexington Street.
> >>> born in County Sligo, age 40 years, beloved wife of Bartholomew
> >> Scanlon,>mother of Thomas, Mary and John Scanlon. Funeral Monday
> >> May 8, 10am to
> >>> Precious Blood; burial at Mount Carmel by autos.
> >>>
> and went
> >>>> to her
> >>>> aunt Bridget Mc Dermott in 33 Vandarvanter Place St Louis.I
> >> have also
> >>>> discovered that there were McDermotts in Chicago . A cousin
> >>>> remembers being
> >>>> brought to visit them when he was a teenager round
> >> (1970's)..Of course
> >>>> teenage boys have no interest in their mother's relatives
> >> and he
> >>>> can give me
> >>>> no information.
> >>>> Rosaleen Scanlon
> >>>>
> >>>> _________________________________________________________________
> >>>> Customise your home page with RSS feeds at MSN Ireland! http://
> >>>> ie.msn.com/
> >>>>
> >>>>
> >>>> -------------------------------
> >>>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-
> >> IN-
> >>>> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> >>>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> -------------------------------
> >>> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> >>> with the word
> >> 'unsubscribe' without
> >>> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> >>
> >> _________________________________________________________________
> >> Discover the magic of RSS feeds at MSN Ireland! http://ie.msn.com/
> >>
> >>
> >> -------------------------------
> >> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-
> IN-
> >> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> >> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> >>
> > -------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
> > with the word 'unsubscribe'
> without
> > the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to IRISH-IN-
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without
> the quotes in the subject and the body of the message