From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Beverly Theater, Stock yards, Englewood etc.
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 02:48:30 -0600

Ann,

My uncle's (by marriage) family lived at about 99th and Winston, the
Koenigs.
Koenig was one of the workers or contractors on what we called "The
Castle" at 103rd and Longwood Dr.
The Haunted Castle.

We used to go to the Beverly theatre, too and Le Bon-Bon.
We weren't allowed to go to the Beverly drive in! Father McNally at
the old mission church, 116th and Church,
used to give fire and brimstone lectures about it! I remember Ed's
Toys Shops but I don't remember "Greens".
What was that?

I went to MPHS where a lot of your Vanderpool classmates probably
attended.

Although my grandparents mostly lived between 51st and 53rd near
Halsted, at various addresses including Aberdeen,
they lived for a short awhile in a greystone on the south side of
55th near Halsted. One of their children was mentally retarded
and there was a school there for children with special needs.
Supposedly this was one of the first programs/schools of its kind.
I don't know the name or anything about it. Did you ever hear of it?

Nan