Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Beverly Theater, Stock yards, Englewood etc.
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 00:08:51 EST

In a message dated 2/24/2007 1:57:05 PM Central Standard Time,
writes:

I recall as a teenager going to the Beverly Theater. We would go into the
washroom of the Le Bon-Bon and it was connected to the washroom of the Beverly,
so it was easy to sneak into the theater. Eventually, they caught on and
chained the bars to prevent us from sneaking into the theater.

Bill Karr in Peoria, IL., USA

Wow, I lived right down the street from the Beverly Theater, on Winston
Ave., the old Brick Street. I used to go the Beverly, La Bon Bon and Eds Toy
Store, Beverly Drive In, Greens and the Bowling alley all the time.

I am a girl, we did not have access to the theater from our rest room
unfortunatly.

I went to the Academy of Our Lady (Longwood) and Vanderpoel Grammer School
(yes I think I was the only Irish Catholic kid east of Beverly (Ashland) to go
to a PUBLIC school. My mom grew up on Winston and went to Longwood Grammar
School and High School. Her fathers family lived in Englewood on 55th in one
of those great Grey Stones (its still there). My grandfather had a small
business at the stock yards and would bring meat to his family during the
depression..they all lived in that 3 flat brown stone, and they would fight to get
the best meat. I went to the University of Chicago Hospital today and drove
by Visitation, all the way down the Boulevard.

I remember Live Stock National Bank, I have a little dime bank from there
that Mr. Freyer? a banker there gave me when I was a kid. It was right across
from the Stock Yards.

Ann Minogue Smith

Bergin (Unknown), Minogue (O'Callahans Mills, Co. Clare), Kane (Lisdeen, Co.
Clare), Kennedy (Lisdeen, Co Clare), Clark (Unknown), Hackett (Unknown),
Morris (Currow, Co. Kerry), Price, McCarthy (Currow, Co. Kerry)
http://www.aol.com.

This thread: