Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Stratford and Halfield Theaters
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 12:11:06 -0600

I am afraid the other listers are growing weary about all this
theatre talk as it isn't about Chicago Irish genealogy as such. So
pardon this post. Someone should start up a list for South Side
Nostalgia.

The Halfield Theatre got its name from combining Halstead and
Garfield. It was on South Halstead, just north of Garfield Boulevard
(5500 South). The intersection was very active in those days with
several restaurants on the corners and a drug store too. I remember
the Callas Restaurant very well. Is that how it was spelled? Someone
will recall. Too long ago for me to remember. People went there for
sodas and the like.

The Byrne Building, a huge apartment building between Halstead and
Green on the Boulevard has been long torn down. If you go to google
maps:

maps.google.com

...or

Google Earth

...put in 5500 S. Halstead, Chicago, IL

...and look at the satellite view you will see that most of what was
in that vicinity is gone except for Visitation Church and some of its
buildings. Lots of vast empty lots. It is like a twilight zone to me.
As the Thomas Wolfe book title said, "You Can't Go Home Again". I
think hopes of gentrification are far off for "The Boulevard". Rather
sad!

Also, if you do a google search on Bob Hope>Chicago>Stratford Theatre
you will find a lot on that subject.

Lucy

On Feb 25, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Beth Walsh wrote:

> You're right. I was a bit distracted as just when I went to send a
> reply, my electricity starting flickering last night during that
> storm,
> So, yes it was the Stratford - my dad told me he met Bob Hope
> there - of course, that's before he (Hope) was all that famous.
>
> My dad actually worked (officially or unofficially) at the
> Halfield for awhile. He learned how to run the movies and used to
> help the projectionist in the booth. That would have to have been
> in the very late 1930s and prior to 1943. In fact, it was due to
> that experience that he became the movie operator aboard ship in
> the Navy in WW II - on the USS Zellars, a destroyer in the South
> Pacific.
>
> I never seem to find much info out about the Halfield - for years
> I always called it the Hoffield. Does anyone know much about or
> been to the Halfield ? I read the short piece at Cinema Treasures,
> but not much info there. I would love to get a picture of it.
>
> Beth

This thread: