From: Beth Walsh <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Stratford and Halfield Theaters
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 08:59:28 -0800 (PST)

You're right. I was a bit distracted as just when I went to send a reply, my electricity starting flickering last night during that storm,
So, yes it was the Stratford - my dad told me he met Bob Hope there - of course, that's before he (Hope) was all that famous.

My dad actually worked (officially or unofficially) at the Halfield for awhile. He learned how to run the movies and used to help the projectionist in the booth. That would have to have been in the very late 1930s and prior to 1943. In fact, it was due to that experience that he became the movie operator aboard ship in the Navy in WW II - on the USS Zellars, a destroyer in the South Pacific.

I never seem to find much info out about the Halfield - for years I always called it the Hoffield. Does anyone know much about or been to the Halfield ? I read the short piece at Cinema Treasures, but not much info there. I would love to get a picture of it.

Beth

wrote:
I think it might have been the Stratford, if you are talking about Chicago?
on 63rd street?

Patti