Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] St. Martin's Renovation in 1993
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 07:23:30 EST

I wrote to the salvage company Beth had found. I sent them an email asking:

"Can you help me? Does your company have photos from your 1993 project of
salvaging items from St. Martin's Church, 59th & Princeton, Chicago -- prior to
the removal of the items?

I am seeking a photo of the WWII Memorial placque that had been located in
the church vestibule/entryway. My uncle who died in the war at age 19 was
listed on the placque, according to my late mother. In researching my family
genealogy, I'm trying to piece together the story of my uncle's brief life. I'm
hoping that a photo of the memorial at St. Martin's exists somewhere."

I received an immediate reply (though not the answer I hoped to hear), but
how nice of them to get back to me! Here's the reply:

"Kathleen, thanks for your request.
We do have a photo archive of this project.

In 1994-95 when we worked there everything that the locals could steal had
been stolen. There were no memorials left in the building when we were there.

You might try the Diocese? They have a fairly large archive up at Mundelein
from the closed churches in Chicago?

Thanks, Rick Lair"

I'm not sure about this Mundelein Archives (I think it's part of Loyola
University), but will try to find out more.

Kathleen Richmond
Oak Forest IL

AOL now offers free email to everyone.