Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Walsh/Welch Line
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 21:27:29 -0600

Listers,

My mother's grandmother's maiden was Margaret Brady. According to family history, Margaret was born in Conty Mayo, Ireland on 31 May 1873. She married William Walsh in Chicago on 13 April 1895.

My great grandfather was William Walsh and his mother was Catherine Welch. I received their death certificates. It states they were buried at the Sag Cemetery. Catherine Welch (no maiden name known) died 3 Jan 1909 and buried there 5 Jan 1909. Catherine was born in Ireland.

William J. Walsh died 22 May 1902 and buries there 24 May 1902. He was a police officer for Chicago. William was born in Illinois.

William's father, William Welch, is buried there, as well as, William Sr.'s brother (?), Michael. William Sr.'s date of death is died Oct. 9, 1895, aged 89 yrs. Michael's is Mar. 25, 1867, aged 76 years. The gravestone had all three males on it, Catherine's was seperate. Margaret is buried in a different cemetery.

The marriage certificate gives his name as William J. Welch 35 years old and her name as Maggie Brady 22 years old. They had four children: William, Margaret (my grandmother), Catherine, and Thomas. William, Jr. died in WWI aboard a ship (the Von Steuben). Thomas died at an early age - not sure of what.

In the 1900 Census, William J. is listed with his wife, Margaret Brady, and his children and mother. However, the surname changed from Welch to Walsh in this census. In the previous census, they are Welch.

Margaret Walsh married Edwin Columbus O'Toole. They had 2 daughters - Margaret (my mother) and Joan. I am looking for any Brady connections to Margaret or Maggie. I have no information regarding her parents at all.

P.S. Catherine married William O'Connor. Any help would be appreciated.

Bill Karr in Peoria, IL., USA

This thread: