Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Englewood/St. Martin's Church
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 04:00:39 EST

Beth wrote: " I just read on the cinema treasures website that the gold
statue of St. Martin's had been removed ? Any news on that ?"

I don't know the story on the absence of the statue, but almost drove off the
Dan Ryan Expressway the day I saw it was gone! Ironically, it was the
morning after Chicago had a huge storm and high winds, so I wondered if the statue
had blown off? I even exited to 59th Street on the way home to drive past the
church to see if it was there on the ground, but it was nowhere to be seen.

My parents, too were married at St. Martin's, but in the rectory (my dad was
not Catholic). I was baptised there, and lived in the Englewood neighborhood
until the age of 7. My mother attended a St. Martin's Grade School Reunion in
the 1970's, and had expressed her disappointment that the group were not able
to get inside the church because she wanted to see the memorial plaque inside
the vestibule honoring servicemen from the parish who served in WWII (her
brother died in the war). I had emailed the Bernadin Archives several years ago
to ask if they had any photos of that vestibule and plaque, but they said no.
I assume the plaque was tossed for scrap during the new owner's rennovations.
I'd love to find someone with a photo of that memorial.

Kathleen Richmond
Oak Forest IL

AOL now offers free email to everyone.