Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Englewood/so. side movie theatres
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:36:34 EST

Does anyone on the list remember the name of the "show" on 69th Street
between Calumet and Prairie Avenues (in St. Columbanus parish)? I used to go
there on Saturday afternoons for the latest episode of Flash Gordon. I didn't
think there was anything better than Flash Gordon and the clay people. I
remember that to this day.

St. Columbanus church was on 71st St. between Calumet and Prairie avenues.
As I remember, it was at one time the 3rd largest church in the city. The 5
altars were Carrera marble. My great grandfather was one of the founders of
the parish. Our neighborhood had a lot of Irish from Co. Kilkenny and the
area around it.

One block east of Calumet was South Park Avenue (now M. L. King Drive).
There was a double decker bus going down South Park Drive to downtown.

My parents and aunts and uncles always used to mention "White City" which
meant nothing special to me until after reading The Devil in the White City -
the story of the Columbian exposition in 1893.

That was certainly a different time!!

Maureen N
http://www.aol.com.

This thread: