From: Beth Walsh <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Chicago City-Wide Collection 1835-1990
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:55:46 -0800 (PST)

Maureen,

Yes, that's the one. The statue is (or was) also visible from the Dan Ryan Expressway. The statue was plated in gold leaf. I'm hoping that if it was removed that possibly it was for restoration not something worse.

Beth

wrote:
Beth,

Is St. Martin's church the one with the wonderful gold statue of St. Mark on a horse above the church? I can remember so many trips as a child from 63rd and Halsted to downtown on the "L". On the way, the statue of the man on the horse glistened in the sun; it was so impressive.

Maureen N