From: Beth Walsh <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Chicago City-Wide Collection 1835-1990
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 16:11:10 -0800 (PST)

Hi Nan,
No, I never looked at the Drovers Journal, in fact, I don't think I'd heard of it before. I did a little research and found that the paper is actually still in existance!
Interestingly enough, my mother worked in the Stockyards as a secretary at Swift & Co. She worked there in the summers while attending Chicago Teachers College (also in the Englewood neighborhood), so during the Depression, the family were lucky enough to have meat on the table. Both she and her older brother worked there. In fact, her brother worked for Swift for his entire career.
Drovers could have something of interest - at least worth a look. Most of my father's family worked at the Stockyards in some capacity or other at some point in their lives. They mostly lived in the Back of the Yards neighborhood (Visitation, St. Anne's, etc.) - as you well know!
Not too much luck on classmates.com - only 16 people that were listed during her years of attendance at EHS (1926-1930) and 6 of them are listed as missing.
Beth

Nan Brennan <> wrote:
Hi Beth,

Thanks for taking the time to give us the benefit of your experience.
I had not only forgotten you were looking for the EHS paper, shame on
me I had forgotten your mom was from St. Martins!

Did you every look at the Drovers Journal? I know it was primarily an agricultural (stock yards) journal, but did you every actually
look at it?
Also, was there anything of interest on Classmates. com from
Englewood alumni?

Nan

This thread: