Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Chicago City-Wide Collection 1835-1990
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:45:00 EST

Nan asked: "I'm assuming you were at Harold Washington, is that correct?
I wonder how much they might have out at the local library in the Englewood
neighborhood.

What about newspapers? Did the library have any of the old local
neighborhood papers?
Did you take a look at the Illinois Newspaper Project?"

I was at the Harold Washington Library downtown, and have not visited a
neighborhood library in Englewood -- sorry to say -- because the neighborhood is
the highest crime area of Chicago. The Beverly (southwest side of the city)
Branch of the Chicago Public Library is supposed to have an Irish Genealogy
section, but I have yet to visit there.

I have not looked at the Illinois Newspaper Project. The Harold Washington
has microfilms of Chicago newspapers, as does the Newberry Library on the Near
North side. Both libraries also have city directories on microfilm, as well.
I have spent many happy hours at both locations! Even found my own birth
announcement in the Southtown Economist.

Kathleen Richmond
Oak Forest IL

Check out free AOL at
http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp. Most comprehensive set of free safety and security
tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the web, free AOL Mail
and much more.

This thread: