Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Chicago City-Wide Collection 1835-1990
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 07:13:20 EST

Nan wrote:
"Has anyone ever looked at this collection?
Chicago Public Library
http://www.chipublib.org/001hwlc/spe/spe_site/archives/ccw.html
Chicago Public Library
Special Collections and Preservation Division
Neighborhood History Research Collections"

I made a visit to the library last year to look at the Englewood neighborhood
collection. I was disappointed to not find anything meaningful for me, but
it was, nonetheless, interesting. I signed in at the special collections room.
Was given a looseleaf index of the Englewood collection. Had to complete a
request form for each of the items I wanted to look at. When the photos and
Englewood HS yearbooks were brought out, I had to put on white cotton gloves
before I was allowed to touch them. The staff were pleasant and helpful.

Why Englewood? During the 1920's and early 1930's my maternal grandparents
Patrick Francis and Sarah (Ryan) FitzGibbon owned a grocery and butcher shop on
the corner of 59th & Princeton across from St. Martin's Catholic Church.
They 'lost' their business during the Great Depression. I was hoping to find
some photos of the neighborhood and or the Church in the collection, but none
found.

My mother (Catherine aka Kay) and uncle (Patrick Martin) graduated from St.
Martin's Grade School, and my mother from Englewood HS. Her brother quit high
school at age 17 to enter the Marine Corps during WWII -- he went MIA in 1945
during the campaign for Iwo Jima when his plane and the crew of 3 went down in
rough seas -- he was only 19. I have my mom's yearbook, but hoped that
subsequent classes may have mentioned those former classmates who died in the
service of their country -- but no luck there for me, as well.

My next try will be at the Cardinal Bernadin Archives for the Chicago
Archdiocese -- have any of the list members visited there? I'd like to hear about
your experience.

Kathleen

This thread: