Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Where is Monleg,Co. Wexford? Know of this man?
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 04:07:43 +0000

Maureen,

As Nan has already posted, I also suggest that your place is actually "Monbeg." It appears this is a reference from Chicago Irish Families which I compiled in 1993-1997. There were many typographical errors in the spelling of Irish placenames, especially in the Chicago Daily News where it appears your entry is sourced. In compiling the information I tried to standardize the spelling of the larger placenames, towns, and parishes especially. The many townlands on the otherhand were often spelled exactly as in the original printing. Thus I suggest that your location is the townland of Monbeg, Civil Parish of Templeshanbo, in the Barony of Scarawalsh, Poor Law Union of Enniscorthy, Co. WEXFORD.

Wikipedia states that Monbeg is derived from the Irish "Mhuine Bheag" or Mossy Fen. It comprises 595 acres containing approximately 100 inhabitants today.

Parish Templeshanbo is right on the Carlow border, so it is very likely there is a proximity to your relatives' origin in Clonegal, Co. Carlow. The Ordnance Survey has a series of excellent maps available for sale which would show you the exact location. They can probably be ordered online.

A "cousin" to the Irish immigrants could have meant first cousin, second cousin, or EVEN third cousin!

Best of luck!

--Tom Cook