From: Judith Mason <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Golden Wedding Ann Chgo 1942 Patrick J.McCartin
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 08:21:10 -0800 (PST)

FYI: In addition to researching my Irish family, I also research my Bohemian (Czech) family. In many documents including census records, their heritage is shown as Austrian or Hungarian with their mother tongue as Bohemian. The Austro-Hungarian Empire ruled for many, many years.

Judie Mason
Chicago

"Carmen D." <> wrote:
Rosaleen, are you sure about that? I would think the Irish were always
Irish. They were just ruled by Britain. Just like Britain ruled India. I
don't think the Indian population were British just because they were part
of the empire.

I would agree that the record keeping system for vital statistics were
British up until some point after the War of Independence.

Carmen-Pittsburgh