From: "Bonnie Brown" <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] More on Irish Immigration Canada to Chicago
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 09:07:02 -0600

I enjoy the thread about Irish immigration through Canada to Chicago.
Thanks to the contributors for sharing their knowledge.

I'll add my example. My John LANE, from Askeaton, County Limerick,
Ireland, first shows up in Rutland County, Vermont in the 1860 census. He
works
for the railroad (Grand Trunk I believe). By 1880 he is in Cass County,
Michigan (southwestern Michigan--near what we Chicagoans now
call Harbor Country ), and 1900 his family is in South Bend, Indiana,
while he works in Paducah, Kentucky. He is a Paymaster, so I'll assume
he was taking care of the paychecks for the many Irish crews that were
building
the railroad west.

John's half-brother fought in the Civil War, and in his pension papers, he
describes
that he, as a baby, and his mother, arrived in Quebec, and as a result of
a 2nd marriage to my gr-gr-grandfather, they came to Vermont. Of course he
doesn't
say HOW he got to Vermont (transporter, perhaps), but nevertheless, it
confirms they
came through Canada.

Thanks for the tips...keep them coming!!

Bonnie

This thread: