From: dan hogan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Travel Routes & Transportation
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 14:40:51 -0800 (PST)

Prior to the 1860's, travel East of the MS River was
primarily by waterways, rivers/canals/lakes.
The transcontinental RR had only made it half way
through MO by the Civil War.
My Hogans/Mullallys ended up in Chicago via St. Louis
and PA.
Many Irish disembarking in Canada came across Lake
Erie to PA to work in the newly discovered oil fields
around Oil City, PA. Many people forget that oil was
widely used prior to the invention of the gas engine
as a lubricant.
One way to trace immigrants is to look "backward"
across a map from where they ended up for clues.
For example if you trace a line from Chicago to Oil
City PA, and continue, you end up roughly at the port
of Philidelphia.
If you find traces of ancestors in up-state NY like
many Irish in the Troy/Schcenetady area, they most
likely sailed up the Hudson from NY City.

Dan Hogan

Dan Hogan

This thread: