From: James Byrnes <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 1854 Travel Routes
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:49:09 -0800 (PST)

Lucy:

I would certainly appreciate a copy of the map that you refer to.

I'm having difficulty with arrivals in Chicago and Wisconsin, and this might clear some of that up.

Thanks again,

Jim Byrnes
Green Bay, WI

Lucy <> wrote:
I have a jpeg map showing travel routes from the east to Wisconsin in
1854. Email me if you want me to send you a copy.

By the mid 1830s settlers were on their way to Milwaukee and
environs. My County Cork Irish came from Massachusetts and the
routing was Albany, NY, Buffalo, NY, across Lake Erie, overland
through Michigan, and around the bottom of Lake Michigan to Chicago.
Another routing was by the Great Lakes, once on Lake Erie. This would
have taken much longer. By the 1840s there were steamboats that made
regular stops at Detroit, Mackinac, Sheboygan and on to Milwaukee,
eventually to Chicago. Wisconsin was a territory then. Land was cheap
and economic conditions in Massachusetts for the Irish were poor.

I have Canadians who arrived in Chicago in the 1880s. Their ancestors
came to (Upper Canada) Ontario in 1830. They came to Chicago for
work. Chicago was going through a great economic boom at that time
and the Canadian economy was depressed. By that time travel was by
train the whole way.

If you know where your ancestors were and when they came to Chicago
you will often find an economic reason. Many Irish settled the near
southwest side of the city because of the building of the Illinois
and Michigan canal. Depressions occurred often in the late 1800s.
Once thriving businesses like the mills in New England closed. There
was a huge building boom after the Chicago Fire.

It is helpful to know the history.

JHG