Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Canada>USA
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 09:53:01 -0500

French Canadians were known to come to the USA via rivers crossing into
New York and/or Vermont. There's the Richelieu River running south from
Montreal into Lake Champlain and from there the Hudson River all the way
to the port of New York. Another crossing point is at St Albans VT, and
probably Derby VT, too. Get a good atlas and study the many
possibilities, keeping a close eye on where their children were born,
too. Many families took years to get to a permanent residence.

Water routes were very common ever since the French came to Canada and
started their fur trade - 1600's. The voyageurs traveled to the west by
canoe and using portage where water routes were not available.

There was no border crossing documentation in the early years.

Also, I believe the railroad was well underway in Michigan in the 1860's
and one of the routes would have been Detroit>Chicago. I do know the
railroad ran to Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1870.

Kelly Ward
Schoolcraft, Michigan USA

This thread: