Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] A Quandry
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 22:06:10 EST

Hi,
I knew it wasn't built then, but there had to be another way of getting to
Chicago by water...barges or lake boats or something....maybe some travel
overland? possibly trains.

My cousins came thru Detroit in the 1860s. I guess I'll have to drag out a
map! I know we all think that travel was difficult in those days but my
great-aunts, etc did a lot more traveling than I do now! They sure got around
from one end of the continent to the other. Thirteen kids and they all visited
each other from Texas to Washington to the Dakotas....I don't have a clue
how they did it....probably by train cuz cars weren't invented. Too late for
stagecoaches, too. Trains were more commercial then and there were a lot more
of them.

Patti

This thread: