From: Judith Mason <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] [Y-IRL] Pre Ellis Island/walking from Canada
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 08:42:41 -0800 (PST)

Hi Tom,

Unfortunately, I don't have much information about the COONEY side of my family. Here's what I do know.

In the 1860 MI census for Negaunee James DONOVAN (my gr gr grandfather) b. Canada is residing with his wife Catherine b. Ireland and their children, all b. Canada. Also is a servant MARGARET COONEY b. Ireland. In all the documentation I have, it appears that Margaret COONEY was born in Cork, Ireland

In June 1865 the family is in St. Joseph, Buchanan Co., MO where there is a son James born to James DONOVAN and Margaret COONEY. I have yet to locate Catherine DONOVAN'S place of death nor do I know when/where James DONOVAN married Margaret COONEY.

In July 1867 another son, Francis, is born to James and Margaret. At his baptism in St. Joseph RC church, Godparents are Martin COONEY and Anne GLEASON.
note: there are Martin Cooneys in Chicago, but without additional information, I can't connect them to Margaret Cooney-Donovan.

In the 1870 IL census for Chicago the entire DONOVAN family is residing on the southside where they all remained until their deaths.

Many of my family told stories they'd heard from James' daughter, Catherine (my gr grandmother) about living in St. Joseph MO during the Civil War, but nothing about how they got there.

Hope this is of some help to you if only in the process of elimination.

Judie Mason
Chicago

Thomas Fortin <> wrote:
Judith,
Was the Cooney family in Chicago related to the Cooney family in Joliet? My
Gr Grandmother was Margaret Cooney, she married William Sutfin. She was the
girl next door. Their son Eugene born in 1876 was my Grandfather.
And yes, members of my Sutfin family had boat tickets that got them (from
New York) to Detroit, and they walked to Dundee IL (1835 at the end of the
Blachawk War) then some went to Joliet when the rail line was finished.
Tom Sutfin-Fortin