From: Carla Johnson <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] [Y-IRL] Pre Ellis Island/walking from Canada
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 19:12:55 -0800 (PST)

My GGGGrandparents arrived from Limerick, Ireland and settled in Adelaide, Middlesex, Ontario on July 25, 1832. Their son Fredrick Hughes married a Catherine Perkins in Ontario then had a son Fredrick Hughes in 1864. Then by 1866 the had moved to Washentaw County, Michigan and have a daughter there. Then sometime between 1870 and 1880 they immigrated to Chicago, Illinois where Fred Senior and Catherine both died. While there they went on to have two more children.

Carla Johnson

Sharon Kavanagh <> wrote:
Maureen & others - I have also wondered about how our relatives got from
Quebec (1851 arrival) to Chicago by (or even well before) 1867. Would love
to hear from others whose families are known to have sailed from Ireland to
Canada and ended up in the States, especially in Chicago.
Sharon Kavanagh