Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Civil War Pensions
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 09:47:10 EST

I was at the NARA in Washington DC several years ago and actually viewed the
entire pension file for my g-g-grandfather John Wesley McKee from Iroquois
County here in Illinois who was a Private in Company H of the 76th IL Infantry
Volunteers. I handled and copied all of the original documents! An awesome
experience. The records showed John had applied for disability pension. There
were written testimonials from his commanding officer and others in his company
to verify the circumstances of his disability. John received the pension and
when he died in 1908, his wife Jane applied as his widow to receive the
pension. Jane remarried in 1914, and did not qualify for the pension any longer.
When her second husband Thomas died in 1923, Jane applied for reinstatement of
the pension and it was awarded to her again. Thomas' death certificate was
in the file as were other written documents. I encourage anyone to get copies
of your ancestor's pension file, no matter the cost -- give up buying food if
you have to!! The wealth of information in those pension files is worth its
weight in gold.

Kathleen Richmond
Oak Forest IL
researching FitzGibbon, Ryan