From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Obituary Look Up??
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 01:24:11 -0600

No obit, Kathy and I think you have this June 16 1894 Trib article
already but I am sending it on.

"Judge Goggin discharged I.L. Gill and William Evans from the County
Jail on a petition for Habeas corpus.
The men were arrested charged with being implicated in the murder of
William Durkin, who was found dead on he towpath of the canal near
Sag Bridge"

What about Lemont area papers? Did you check "the Peoria Herald"?
They were a lot of murders on the Canal.
The George Weimer that was put in charge of the investigation is
named in another Tribune article on the drainage canal in Oct of 1894
(Oct 18).
He was referred to as a lieutenant of ex-Mayor McCarthy of Lemont.

Have you checked hospital records: County, Alexian, and Willow Springs?
Also there was a separate police force "Drainage Canal Police" have
you been able to find anything about them or the Drainage Canal
Commission.

Nan