From: Judith Mason <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Obituary Look Up??
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 09:00:44 -0800 (PST)

Kelly, here's what I found for Edward and Timothy in Ancestry's database "Irish in Chicago 1872 - 1925". The articles/obituaries are extracts from various Chicago publications.

Hope this is of some help.

Judie Mason
Chicago

Burke, Thomas Husband of Sarah (nee Hogan), father of John, Edward and Timothy Burke, Mrs. Giveney, Mrs. Dwyer, Mrs. Clark, Mrs. Maher, Mrs. Carrod, and Mrs. Carberry, uncle of Father Paul Burke of McHenry, Ill., and the late Fr. James Burke of St. Louis, also Timothy, David, John and Edward. Funeral from residence 6621 Green st. to St. Bernard's church thence to Mt. Olivet cemetery. Native of Sollihead, Co. Tipperary. --July 5, 1906 (1)

Burke, Mary, died Feb. 13, 1902, aged 26 yrs., at resid. 3944 Western ave., daughter of Edward and Catherine Burke, born in Co. Mayo. Funeral from St. Agnes Church to Mt. Olivet (1)

Burke, Ellen (nee Fraher) wife of the late John, mother of William, Edward and Oliver Burke at her late residence, 820 37th st., native of Co. Limerick. Funeral from Nativity church to Mt. Olivet cemetery. --Nov. 13, 1905 (1)

Burke, Edward P., was born in Madison, Jefferson County, IN on Jan. 17, 1848, the son of John Burke and Mary Fallon, natives of Co. Roscommon who came to the U.S. in 1833. They settled in Indiana until 1870 when they came to Chicago, and two years after returned to the Hoosier State. Here the next eight years of their lives were spent, and they returned to Chicago in 1880. In the latter year his father died, and in 1881 his mother. In Chicago, Edward Burke was apprenticed to a stonecutter, and later was elected president of the Stonecutter's Association. In 1874 he abandoned the business of stonecutting to accept a position with Fowler Bros., as foreman in their establishment at the Union Stockyards. Here he remained for nine years, finally leaving to go into business for himself later becoming associated with the firm of McKeon, Kelly & Burke, cut stone contractors. This firm operated extensive yards on 21st st. near Archer ave. He was elected three successive times to
the city council from the 5th ward. In 1880 he defeated George Turney, independent democrat, and Thomas Ryan, receiving a plurality of over 600 votes; and in 1882 he defeated Edward O'Hare, independent democrat and Fred Aye, republican. In 1886 he was nominated for State Senator. He married Mary E. McKeon in June, 1873, and they had five children. He died on July 1, 1892. (28)

note: (1) Chicago Daily News
(28) "Men Who Have Made 5th Ward Chicago" 1895

wrote:
I don't have access to any Chicago libraries as I live out-state. Would
it be possible for one of you who does have access to check for two
obituaries for me?

1. Timothy BURKE, b. 1862 Ireland (he lived in Wisconsin, Chicago, and
the last record I have of him is 1910 in Wisconsin, but he could well
have gone back to Chicago after 1910)

2. Edward Timothy BURKE, b. 1890 Chicago, 1900 living at 2322 Fulton,
Chicago (West Town), 1910 with his father, Timothy BURKE, in Wisconsin;
1920 the only Edward BURKE I can find in Wisconsin or Illinois is one
Edward T. BURKE living at 7332 Dante Ave, Chicago with his wife, Anna
B., two children, Eleanor b. 1915 & Edward R. b. 1918 and his
mother-in-law, Ellen GALLAGHER.

Kelly Ward, Schoolcraft, Michigan