Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Civil War Records +
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 07:47:43 -0500

I ordered them from NARA (also a great site for passenger lists)
NARA - Genealogists/Family Historians - Genealogists/Family Historians
<http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/>;

The pension record is far more informative about personal information,
the service record gives the military information. The last record I
ordered was in 2000, so I have no idea as to the details of the current
rules. I do know you had to use the correct form to begin.

Recently I re-read a pension file I've had for several years. I gleaned
a few bits of information that I had previously overlooked. There were
several affidavits written, and I began a search of each of these
individuals. I found one of them to have a wife with the same unusual
first name as a sister of the claimant, same age. I've been looking for
this sister with no success. (One of the other affidavit writers was
stated to be a sister of the claimant.) The man who wrote this
particular affidavit was also a civil war veteran, further research
showed he was also a pensioner. I plan to send for his pension record to
shed light on this woman - when & where he married her, what her full
name was.

Kelly Ward
Schoolcraft, Michigan

> Did you write (where?) for the full file?
>
> Nan

This thread: