Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Civil War Pensions
Date: Tue, 02 Jan 2007 08:39:16 -0500

I have found these pension records to be invaluable - the applicant must
not only list his service information, but also all wives, where they
were married, children born to the union(s), also affidavits bolstering
any disabilities (which may or may not be true - as in the old saw, "all
the records were burned"), residences. They are passed on to the
surviving widow until her death. One had a 10-year battle with the
government to get his pension.

One more thing, these pension records may include any time they have
spent in various veteran facilities; and correspondence regarding
mistreatment suffered. In my case two uncles spent time in the Sawtelle,
California facility. That explained the attraction to California for my
Chicago family to move there in 1900, and other branches of that same
family through 1920's. Imagine, if you will, the attraction of that
sunny climate for old French Canadian descended men, born in Wisconsin.
The stories they must have told their family!

I believe the Civil War pensioners may have received railroad passes -
either a free ride or reduced rate; which would support the wanderlust
some had. One Civil War veteran I have even got a passport @1900 to go
abroad and 'find a wife'.

My Chicago Irish were Tobias, Timothy, John and Mary BURKE. This family
was affiliated with the DUSHANE/DESCHENES, LEQUE French Canadians from
Fond du Lac & Oshkosh, Wisconsin.

Wishing everyone a good genealogy research year,
Kelly Ward
Schoolcraft, Michigan
> 1. Civil War Pensions ()
> 2. Re: Civil War Pensions (Sharon Kavanagh)
> 3. Re: Civil War Pensions ()

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 15:43:02 -0600
> Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Civil War Pensions
> To: Chicago <>, Cook
> <>
>
> Listers,
>
> I have a question about Civil War Pensions. My wife's great grandfather was a Union soldier and there is a record of him receiving the pension. Does the Civil War Pension stop after he dies? Is it passed onto the survivors like pensions these days? How far down (in descendancy) is it passed on? Just curious?

This thread: