From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Goode Prendergast in 1930
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 18:25:19 -0600

Tom,
Do you know if your Robert and Kittie had a son Robert and a dau Mary?

This is a bit of a puzzle:

I found a Robert E. Goode in the 1930 census living at 2909 West Adams.
(29th ward, 4th precinct, block 176, ED 979, sheet 12 A.)
He was age 35, born Illinois about 1895 Married at age 25 (abt 1930).
Employed as chauffeur for a cartage company.
Father born NY, Mother born Illinois. But his wife isn't there.

There are two heads of household at this address and the primary
(owner) head is:
CATHERINE PRENDERGAST AGE 74 WIDOWED.

The next Head (renter) is Edward Kassbell and wife Mary and their
son Richard E.
Mary's was born Illinois, father born NY, Mother born Illinois.

Robert is listed as brother-in-law. But BIL of whom, the 2nd Head,
Edward Kasswell?
This would make him Mary Kassbells's brother which makes sense, but
who is this Catherine Prendergast??
She is not listed as anybody's mother, and wouldn't she be using the
name Goode anyway if she was your Kittie Prendergast Goode.

Also listed at this address UNDER Robert Goode:
Catherine Goode, "niece" age 9, b ILL parents b ILL(niece of whom?
Catherine Prendergast, Edward Kasswell or Robert Goode?)
Robert C. Goode, "nephew" age7, b Ill parents b ILL(nephew of whom?
Catherine Prendergast, Edward Kasswell or Robert Goode?)
Alice June, age 4yr9mo, "niece" b Ill parents b Ill(niece of whom?
Catherine Prendergast, Edward Kasswell or Robert Goode?)

Are these Robert's children?

Another puzzle is this Catherine Prendergast is born Mass, parents
born Ireland.
(and Mary and Robert's mother was born in Illinois according to the
census).
Do you know where your Kittie was born?
She's old enough to be mother of Mary Kasswell and Robert Goode and
she is a widow.
But is she your Catherine Kittie Prendergast Goode?
( I suppose she could be a SIL of Kittie, too. ie married Kittie's
brother if she had one)

What do you think?

Nan

There's also a Frank Muller, a boarder at this address: born Gemany,
divorced.