From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Chicago Daily News
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 21:58:06 -0600

Tom,

I was looking at your Delia Taylor Belz's record in the 1900 Chicago
census.
That census reports her mother was born in Ireland and her father in NY.

Then I went backwards to the 1880 Illinois census looking for a
Taylor child born Illinois with a mother born Ireland and a father
born in New York.
Couldn't find one with a father born NY, so concentrated on mother
born Ireland.

There's only one with a given name that is close to Delia, but it is
very close, "Dehilia".
And Delia is 12, born about 1868 and you have May 1871. (are you
getting that date from the 1900 census or do you have a birth cert
that confirms 1871?)

Residence of this Taylor family is 48 Bismark Court, Chicago, ED
135. Mother Bridget is a widow, age 48.
Other children in addition to Dehilia are Mary 18, Nellie 14 and John
10.
John and Dehlia were born in Illinois and Mary and Nellie were born
in NY.
(this census shows the father born Ireland not NY.)
It's pretty likely that this Bridget and Henry Taylor were married in
NY.

This family was in the 11th ward in the 1870 census and the father
was alive: Henry Taylor, a peppermint pedler, age 40, born Ireland.
The Henry Taylors in the Illinois death index don't match these
circumstances though.

Have you ruled this Henry and Bridget Taylor family out as you
Delia's family?

Nan