From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Howard Walsh families in Chicago
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2006 23:07:59 -0600

I'm trying to determine if the John J. Howard, husband of the
deceased, Julia Walsh Howard, named in the1944 obit below, was my
great uncle, John J. Howard, brother of my grandmother Julia Howard
Brennan.

My John J. Howard was born in Bromodera** (Lixnaw and Irremore RC
Parish) Co Kerry in 1879. Parents: John Howard and Mary Walsh.
My JJH had Chicago siblings Dan Howard, Mrs Edward Brennan (julia
howard , my grandma) and Mrs Michael Brennan (Dora Howard)
These four siblings immigrated 1901-1911.
Siblings remaining in Ireland: Thomas and Edward Howard and Mrs
Dennis Hickey (Mary Howard).
** Bromodera may also be known as Braumaddra

These Howards lived in Visitation Parish, at least some of the time,
from 1905 forward.
Brother Daniel Howards first wife was also a Walsh, Sarah Walsh, who
died about 1908.
Daniel Howard died in Chicago in 1923.

Here's the obit:

1944-02-21 Chicago Tribune (IL) HOWARD
Julia Walsh Howard of 5520 S. Union avenue, beloved wife of the late
John J. Howard, dear mother of Lucille Smith, Helen Kelsey, John,
Virginia, and Bernadette Howard, fond sister of James Walsh, Mary
McLaughlin, and Lucy Sullivan. Funeral Tuesday, 10:15 a.m., from
funeral home, 79th at Loomis boulevard, to Visitation church.
Interment Holy Sepulchre cemetery. Tri. 1187.

Copyright 1944, Chicago Tribune. For permission to reprint, contact
Chicago Tribune.

This thread: