From: Sharon Coryell <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Cross Reference
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 14:09:40 -0800 (PST)

Sadie was a nickname for Sadie, and not just among the Irish (I have three of them in various localities). I think it was a fairly common nickname in the 19th century. Also, alot of Irish used their middle names, not their first. For example, my Irish ggggrandmother was Mary Dougherty, but went by her middle name Bridget (took me about three years to figure that one out), my gggrandmother was Anna Virginia, known as Jennie. My ggrandmother was Marie Isabelle, known as Isabelle or Izzie. The same with the males in the family. An uncle was Michael Lawrence, but everyone called him Larry. Makes tracking them down really interesting.

Sharon in CA

wrote:
Is there a cross reference somewhere for Irish first names? Growing up, I
could never understand why some people called my grandmother Sarah, Sadie. I
recently came across a picture of two cousins, except the female was called
Alice instead of Ann. Now I'm wondering, are Alice/Ann one and the same or have
I encountered another branch of my family tree.

Denny