IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2006-10 > 1161884984-01

From: "Kathleen M. Klimek" <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Murray and Tracey
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:49:44 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

I am looking for possible info on a Murray family and a Tracey family (or individuals).

My ggg-grandfather Patrick James Murray b. 1846 (or 47) Ireland and ggg-grandmother Delia Tracey (born 1847-48) Ireland are both listed in the 1870 fed census as living in the third ward Chicago. He was listed as laborer, she as domestic servant. I think they were both came to the US after 1860 since I cannot locate them (at least in IL) on the 1860 census but they are on the 1870 census.

Marriage records state the couple were married Nov. 23, 1872. Holy Family parish I believe. So both were around and in that neighborhood during the Chicago fire era.

Complicating research is that there is another Patrick Murray born in the same year but a different family in a different ward.

Later both are listed in the 1880 census, 7th ward, ED 72,. Delia is now listed as Bridget Murray. As is the custom as Delia is a nickname for Bridget (or vice versa?).
In the 1880 census the household is:
Patrick - age 34
Bridget – age 32
Daniel – age 5
James – age 2
Mary – age 1

And a relative (brother?) of Delia / Bridget:
John Tracy (Tracey?) age 42

In the 1900 Census they are listed in West town 9th ward, ED 226
Daniel Murray – B. 1877
James – b. 1880
Mary – b. 1882
Kittie (Catherine) – b. 1883
William – b. 1884
Thomas – b. 1886

I don’t know if Delia/Bridget Murray and Patrick Murray passed away by the 1900 census since the children are living alone? Since their names are so common I have been unable to locate correct death information.

I have genealogy on all the descendants of these Murray children: Daniel Joseph (my gg-grandfather), James John. Mary (married Phebus), Catherine (married Kyle), William and Thomas.

Anyone who has tips or ideas on records that would help me proceed or have more info on this family, thanks! I would like to figure out how to find out which county in Ireland this family came from - if that is even possible? Limerick? Since a lot of west siders were from that county?

And the Tracey family? Any info on them?

Thanks.

K.M.K.

This thread: