From: <>
Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Terminology
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:50:27 -0500

Margaret McCarthy wrote <I guess I lean on the KISS theory (Keep It Simple . . ) unless there is a reason for being very specific. If there is a switch in the line from paternal to maternal or vice versa, I would simply identify the surname being discussed. Such specificity would usually occur if one were conversing with someone distantly related through the particular surname.

Genealogists realize that the lines double each generation back and that half of the surnames change with each generation. I think most listeners would quickly lose track of a recitation of "paternal, maternal, paternal, etc." Hope my "two cents" helps.>

Margaret,

Nice name it was my mother's. I believe in KISS also. I was just thinking about it and tried to figure out how to explain to someone who my 4 X great grandmother was and how she was related with a minimum amout of words. I'm definitely not losing any sleep over this (I have a job for that). It was just a thought and thought someone would know. If there is no such terminology, that's fine.

As you say, lines double each generation. If my 4 X great grandmother is on my maternal grandfather's father's side, I thought there might be term to shorten the verbage. It is not life or death, just curiosity.

Bill Karr in Peoria, IL., USA

This thread: