Subject: Re: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Terminology
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 10:46:17 EDT

I guess I lean on the KISS theory (Keep It Simple . . ) unless there is a
reason for being very specific. If there is a switch in the line from
paternal to maternal or vice versa, I would simply identify the surname being
discussed. Such specificity would usually occur if one were conversing with
someone distantly related through the particular surname.

Genealogists realize that the lines double each generation back and that
half of the surnames change with each generation. I think most listeners would
quickly lose track of a recitation of "paternal, maternal, paternal, etc."

Hope my "two cents" helps.

Margaret McCarthy

This thread: