From: "Boydstun" <>
Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Edward Powell - City Weigher - 1871
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 13:25:31 -0500

Listers,

I received the following from the Chicago city pre-fire records.

1871 - 11 Dec, 1871 - Edward Powell was elected by the Common Council of the city of Chicago to the office of City Weigher for the period of two years. He signed the oath on 15 Dec 1871. He, along with Dennis Walsh and William O'Brien signed the "Official Bond" for $500.00.

I'm not from Chicago, so don't know much about its history. Does anyone know what the office of the City Weigher did or what was weighed? What was the Common Council of the city of Chicago? Was it the same as a City Council?

Alice Lynne

This thread: