Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] Michael Scanlan from Castlemahon
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 20:17:14 EDT

Noted in Tom's message that the Chicago Citizen wrongly ascribes the origin
of Michael Scanlan: "From Ballymahon--Michael Scanlon, father of attorney
Kickham Scanlon..." Michael Scanlan was my husband's gggreat uncle and all of
our information, and information published at the time of his death, indicates
that Michael ScanlAN (not Scanlon), was part of the large contingent from
Castlemahon (aka Mahoonagh) in Limerick. He emigrated about 1848 via Boston to
Chicago with his mother, K/Catherine Roche Scanlan, and siblings, who
included John F. Scanlan and Mary Scanlan McQuaid, whose daughter later married
Frank Lawler. Just thought I'd correct the record (100 years late) in hopes
anyone else who had information or connections to this family might be moved to
chime in. (Am much indebted, by the way, to Tom for his research on the
Chicago Irish which was a huge boon in launching my own research -- thanks, Tom!).

Beth Callanan, Wash, DC

This thread: