Subject: [IRISH-IN-CHICAGO] 1890 Census
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2006 13:08:11 EDT

Maureen,

There was a fire where the censuses were held and much of the 1890 census
was water damaged. Some bright soul at the new Archives thought since it wasn't
complete due to the damage, ordered it destroyed. At least that's what I had
heard.

Nora Hopkins FitzGerald
Searching for Fahey/Hogan/Keane/Hopkins in Chicago from Mayo

In a message dated 9/1/2006 12:45:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
(mailto:)
writes:

Kathy,

I checked the 1890 Census for Illinois at Godfrey.org. I did not find any
Durkins, but I faintly remember that a lot of the 1890 Census was destroyed
in some sort of an accident. I can't remember how. Maybe someone else on
the
list can remember more, and whether all of it was put online.

Maureen N

This thread: