From: "Margaret Lloyd" <>
Subject: Holy Family
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 19:53:50 +0800

Thanks so much to everyone for your help and for the wonderful stories about Holy Family Parish. I was also very interested in the suggested solution for the reappearance of John McAndrew. Would the census have been used to check up on where voters were living?

You were wondering whether your grgrgrandfather lived in the Holy Family Parish, Betty Lou. A 1980 history of the parishes of Chicago (ed Rev Msgr Koenig) describes the original (1857) boundaries of Holy Family parish as "from Polk St. on the north to the south branch of the Chicago River (at approximately Canal St.) Owing to the lack of development in the area west of Halsted St., no west limit was set for the parish."

Later it mentions that Sacred Heart Parish from 1872 extended west to Throop St and to the Chicago River at approximately Canal St on the east, north to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincey railroad tracks at approx 16th St. and to the south branch of the Chicago River. Then in 1874 "Holy Family parish was again divided... to form St Pius parish in the district west of Ashland Avenue." I hope that helps. I know that when Ellen lived on W 14th Place, she was definitely in Holy Family Parish, but she was at 131 -so quite a way from your Thomas and Bridget.

Did they come from County Limerick, by any chance? A Michael Devitt was a baptismal sponsor for one of the Lloyd children in Doon (Edward's nephew) and there were several Ryans who were family sponsors both in Doon and at Holy Family.

Best wishes,

Margaret

This thread: