IRISH-IN-CHICAGO-L Archives

Archiver > IRISH-IN-CHICAGO > 2006-08 > 1156308897


From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Holy Family Catholic Church bits and pieces
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:54:57 -0500


West Roosevelt Rd and South May Street



> T
> his church was constructed between 1857 and 1860 under the
> direction of the
> Jesuit priest, Father Arnold Damen. Additions in 1862 and 1866
> enlarged it to its present
> form. By 1890,Holy Family was the largest English-speaking Catholic
> parish in the United
> States. Today, it is the second-oldest church building in Chicago,
> having survived the Great
> Fire of 1871. The church building closed in the 1980’s and was
> threatened with demolition.
> However, through appeals catalyzed by the Reverend George Lane and
> the Holy Family
> Preservation Society, the church was saved and painstakingly
> restored, a process which con-
> tinues today


This thread: