From: "Margaret Lloyd" <>
Subject: Lloyd, Tobin
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 19:04:36 +0800

Dear Listers,
I'm not good at finding time to write to the list, but am at present on holiday. I'd like to say a belated thankyou to Nan for posting lots of interesting information to the list sometime ago.
I've just spent an indulgent few weeks searching through the US census and Holy Family Parish records to trace those of my family who left Doon, Co Limerick in the 1860's and 70's for Chicago. I've also been reading some Chicago history and studying street maps, so that I almost feel as though I've been on a visit to Chicago myself! (instead of in Wellington, New Zealand)
Ellen Tobin married Edward Lloyd at Holy Family Church in 1868. They had 14 children of whom 8 survived to adulthood. They were:
Margaret b 1869 m Thomas Dunlavy in 1893
John b 1872 m Mollie MacCarthy in 1894
Edward b 1878 m Margaret Blair c 1903
Michael b 1880 m Paulina c 1904
Honora b 1883
Ellen b 1884 m Timothy Murphy in 1908
Richard b 1886 m Gladys c 1909
Julia b 1888 m Raymond Beauregard in1909.
Edward died in 1891. Ellen married John McAndrew in 1894. She died in 1912.
Ellen's two brothers William and Michael Tobin also emigrated to Chicago. William married twice: to Mary Halpin who died in 1881 and then to Honora Burke.
Do these names mean anything to anyone?
Both families lived in the neighbourhood of Holy Family parish: W.14th St, W.14th Place, Henry St. (Could anyone tell me what kind of houses they would have lived in? It seems that the neighbourhood survived the fire.)
I have copied a lot of other records from Holy Family Parish and I'll put some of them into another email in case they mean something to someone. What a lot of people seem to have emigrated from Doon alone! And I guess it was the same for many other Irish towns.
Best wishes,
Margaret Lloyd

This thread: