Subject: Re: Irish Saloons
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 13:21:48 EDT

My husband's grandfather, Charles Callanan, also owned a saloon (at 2763
Archer Ave., presumably as that is where the family lived and my father-in-law
described the saloon as being downstairs as were the Jackson and Heeney
saloons. He remembered his mother and aunt getting up at dawn to make sandwiches
which were sold to the lunch crowd each day.

Found the following info in my files. Haven't used it yet myself, but
sounds like one place to start:
Illinois Regional Archives Depository Holdings:

Northeastern Illinois University (NEIU)
Illinois Regional Archives Depository
Ronald Williams Library
Northeastern Illinois University
5500 N. St. Louis Avenue
Chicago, IL 60625-4699
Telephone: (773) 442-4506

County.........COOK
Title..........LICENSE APPLICATIONS,
...............LIQUOR (CHICAGO)
Begin Date.....1934
End Date.......1934
IRAD Dep.......NEIU
Accession No...7/0020/01

County.........COOK
Title..........LICENSE APPLICATIONS,
...............SALOON (CHICAGO)
Begin Date.....1890
End Date.......1910
IRAD Dep.......NEIU
Accession No...7/0035/01

County.........COOK
Title..........SALOON LICENSE
...............REFERENCE BOOKS (CHICAGO)
Begin Date.....1907
End Date.......1919
IRAD Dep.......NEIU
Accession No...7/0050/01