From: Nan Brennan <>
Subject: Re: [Irish in Chicago] 40th Avenue
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 21:43:35 -0500

Bill, I think you are right that 40th Avenue was Crawford/Pulaski.
There's a 1900 map at "A Look at Cook" website

http://www.alookatcook.com/1900/1900ChgoCtymp.htm

40th ave is clearly marked.
That address 1503 S 40th would be literally on the border of the 10th
Wd.
I assume with the odd number "3" that it would be on the east side of
40th, so would be the 10th Ward.
The adjoining ward to the West would be the 28th Ward.

Nan

On May 30, 2006, at 9:25 PM, <> wrote:

> Listers,
>
> I just received my gr gr grandmother's, Catherine Welch, death
> certificate. It states that she died at 1503 S. 40th Avenue. She
> died 3 January 1909. I'm sure that was prior to the street name
> changes. Having lived in Chicago for 50+ years, I know that 4000
> West is Pulaski/Crawford. Would this be the same as 40th Avenue?
>
> She was buried at Sag Cemetery with her son, my gr grandfather,
> William Walsh. Is this the St. James Cemetery in Lemont? According
> to one website, this is where many of the workers that built the
> I&M Canal are buried. This may solve the mystery of the hamlet of
> Hastings, Illinois.
>
> Bill Karr in Peoria, IL., USA

> http://www.ancestry.com/s13969/rd.ashx

This thread: